I’m easily distracted in the summer, the weather lures me outside to sit in the sun with a glass of lemonade… okay, white wine, you guys know me too well. And then there’s weeds to pull, gardens to tend, flower pots to deadhead, porches and patios to sweep. Not to mention all the other fun in the sun activities that can prevent us from completing projects around the house. My advice, summer is the time to plan, contemplate and prepare for more extensive (time consuming) fall make overs and renovations. Summer is the time to have a few ‘quickies at home- projects that can be completed in under an hour on a rainy Saturday morning or Tuesday evening or in a panic just before house guests that surprised you with the ‘we’re in town and would love to drop over for a visit’ phone call. Here are my top 10 Quickies that really make a difference around the house:
- Wall paper the inside of your cupboard doors- on my list is to paper the inside of my pantry door with this amazing Christian Lacroix butterfly wall covering.
- Create a herb garden on the kitchen counter- using an oversized ice bucket, a set of three fabulous pots, or a large crystal bowl (be creative here) plant your favorite herbs, they’ll taste great, smell great and of course, look great.
- Next to the herb garden fill a beautiful bowl with kosher or course sea salt for a real chef look on the counter top. I also have a bottle (repurposed wine bottle) that I filled with olive oil and inserted a bottle spout.
- Redress the sofa with new toss cushions- have fun and add summer glamour to the sofa with linen and crystal or pattern printed cushions.
- Drape small sheep skins over top of your dining chairs for a fresh glamorous look.
- Hang sheer ready-made white drapery panels to a naked window. The perfect summer look billowing in the breeze of an open window.
- Repaint something. Let your inner artist loose on an uninspired piece of furniture, go crazy, hand paint all over a boring upholstered chair, even if you just throw paint at it literally or white wash an inherited bedroom dresser, paint striped on a wooden end table or paint the kitchen chairs hot pink.
- Hang some floating shelves. I love shelves and love to artfully arrange them with books, treasures and art that I have collected. Look for a wall of opportunity and hang ready-made shelving available from do it centers or large box stores.
- Lay down a new area rug in an underwhelming room
- Create an art wall by hanging a collection of framed black and white photos and toss in a few unexpected pieces such as paintings, etchings, ceramic plates, a clock, wooden or metal sculptures- any neat pieces that you wouldn’t expect to see on the wall.
Enjoy the sun and try to fit in at least one quickie project every week- that’s how you live fabulously!