Mothers day is just around the corner and this year let’s give mom a fabulous gift that is designed just for her. No more token predictable flowers, no no no, this year we are going to think outside the gift box and get creative and personal with our gifts. Sam and I put our heads together yesterday at the Rock House office and put together a list of ideas that we hope will inspire you to give mom an extra special gift this year.
- My mom loves it when I give her custom-designed front door planters. She’s come to expect the trendiest planters on the block. Of course we start with great planters and even if the planter is a typical ceramic, resin or metal variety, raise the design bar by embellishing the front of the planter with a vintage brass door knocker or a painted wood molding detail or even a wall sconce that can hold a candle. Now for the plants. Plant trailing bamboo, banana palms or another fabulous tropical- and fill with colour coordinating flowers and fabulous textured leaves. Remember, you are creating a living sculpture.
- Hire a local chef to give mom a private in-house dinner party for her and a few friends. What a great evening and this can even include a cooking lesson. Wrap up the certificate with a bottle of bubbly or even new kitchen linens.
- Moms are busy people so how about treating her to a day with a professional organizer. The organizer can help her get to those places that she just doesn’t have time to clean out, clean up and organize. Cleaners once a week for the month of May is also a great gift that will help mom have more time for her.
- We love books and recently interviewed author Angella M. Nazarian, Pioneers of the Possible . This is a great book which shares stories of twenty amazingly inspirational women: Estee Lauder, Mata Amritanandamayi, Ella Fitzgerald, just to name a few. A great book with a beautiful handwritten inscription from you telling her how much she has inspired you is truly priceless. Speaking of books, I love the idea of creating a cookbook in her honor. All of mom’s and her mom’s favorite recipes in one book. Besure to include some handwritten comments from you and the rest of the family and even some drawings by the kids and snapshots of family dinners. Everyone in the family is going to want a copy so be sure to order enough.
- Moms are notorious for not treating themselves, so this year plan a spa day for mom and a friend or mom and you. Splurge and not only plan the spa but perhaps hire a professional stylist like Sam to consult on a new look, give makeup tips (of course you’ll want to treat mom to all the new products that she’ll now need) and perhaps even a new outfit.
- Give mom a beautiful completely-filled picnic basket, complete with lunch for four and have a great day enjoying a favorite local park.
- Register yourself and mom in an art class or a wine tasting or even a cake-decorating class. Not only will you unleash all that creative energy you both have but you’ll enjoy a evening together for the next six weeks.
- I gave my mom an Ipad at Christmas and she’s addicted. She has cooking apps, Sudoku, decorating and even gardening apps. I knew she would love it just didn’t realize how much.
Us girls at Rock House wish all you Mom’s a most fabulous day!
THIS AND THAT
If you love cooking then you’ll love this weekend project. Create a herb garden. Buy yourself a fabulous tray that matches your décor and then a set of great little pots and plant a single herb in each container. Watch them grow and enjoy snipping fresh herbs as you need them in the kitchen.