Us designers absolutely love this time of year, not only for the glitz and glam decor that we bring into our rooms but for the beautiful gifts of style and glamour that we can give to friends and family. For us, we try to give gifts that perhaps you would not buy for yourself, perhaps the cost may be to great (not that the total dollar value is excessive, but that perhaps those few hundred dollars always end up going towards something more practical), or a gift that shows thought and time for acquisitions, for example, years ago a girlfriend knowing that I valued vintage pieces and loved glamour presented me with an antique crystal perfume bottle that she found months earlier.
Here are a few of our favorite gift ideas.
- A beautiful coffee table book, perhaps on art or fashion. Books can be outrageously expensive and all too often we don’t spend that kind of money on ourselves, yet a high value book on a subject that is near and dear to our hearts is worth every penny and can be proudly displayed on a coffee table. In addition to new books, I love to keep my eyes peeled for vintage books, perhaps a vintage modern medicine textbook for your favorite doctor or out of print cookbook for the chef in your circle of friends. These vintage and out of date treasures are often not expensive it’s the joy of the find and something that will give loads of pleasure and even a few giggles for you and the receiver. Extra points if the coffee table book matches the decor of the gift receiver’s home.
- One of the most luxurious gifts you can give is an elegant faux fur throw. There are so many fabulous options available. Order the largest size you can find so that you can use it as a bed cover or large enough so that two can snuggle in front of the fire.
- I get a lot of pleasure from putting together baskets of my favorite things, sometimes they will have a cooking theme and be filled with local infused oils and vinegars, spreads and jams, teas, spices, wines and spirits or beauty themed with my favourite hand creams, lip glosses and soaps. Keep a theme when selecting items and only include items that you truly love so that you can have a conversation and spread your passion for them.
- Air diffusers and room scents that use only natural essential oils are a terrific gift. I love top quality diffusers and employ multiple units throughout my own home. The gift of scent can truly change someone’s life. Energizing and cleansing scents such as lemon, grapefruit in the kitchen, lavender in the bedroom and lemongrass in the ensuite – yummy nose candy. Natural scented candles are also high on my want and give list.
- No present ever outweighs the gift of time and loved memories. Host a ‘thanks for being in my life’ holiday party and invite your favourite people, share in the beauty of your gorgeous home and show off those impressive entertaining skills while creating a magical night of fun and laughter.
Live fabulously and give generously this season with these ideas, as well as your own twists on thoughtful gifts that are designed to make life just a little more luxurious and enjoyable.